No. 16 – DIY Temple Fortune – 106 Km

It is really not that complicated, and the AUDAX site does its best to make it really REALLY easy, but it still took me a while to get a DIY AUDAX sorted and – well – ridden…

First I needed the Brevet cards. OK – sent the money and got them. Then there was the route planning. It is surprising how stingy I feel about a Km here or there, when I plan a, say, 100 Km ride! It should really be slightly more than 100 – so 105 is like the norm, but this is measured in the shortest possible way between the controls, which is usually over a motorway or something like that – which I obviously cannot use to actually ride. So I am trying to find a route which is both shortest and not on motorway or high speed A Roads – not that easy. Also I need controls, so the ‘edges’ of the route have to be somewhere in the vicinity of a relatively large place, where I can get a statement from a hole in the wall or a receipt from a shop or something similar.

Having negotiated the minefield of the route I submitted it for approval. To my delight – that was just fine.

So I sent my application form and – away I went.

It was really a good ride – and a good weather too. I felt as if I am doing it in good time, but in reality I managed to get back with no more than 30 minutes to spare – if that. I know I spent quite a lot of time in several places finding my way (although in theory I had it all in my 705), but when looking back at the stats it was clear that my average speed was quite low. Hmmm… at least the saddle wasn’t a sore point 🙂 I actually quite like it and it seems to me (and this is ONLY a faint impression) that the ‘breaking in’ process has started.

I think I am going to try the same route this weekend – and get back far quicker if I can.

Oh yes – the route…

and the certificate:

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.